Office Relocations in Adelaide
Furniture Removals & Storage in Adelaide & Australia Wide
Whether you want to move to a new home across Australia or to take a three-month holiday, you need a place to store all of your possessions. For big items, like appliances and clothing, to smaller possessions, like photos and decorative trinkets, a temporary move may not provide the best solution. You know you can't take all of these items with you, or you may not have the room to store them at all.
So you rent a storage unit to hold all of your belongings. But when you look around your home or apartment, you realise that you haven't the slightest idea how to appropriately pack your items.
Below, we'll give you five packing tips that you can implement as you ready your items for storage.
1. Always Use Boxes or Containers With Lids.
No matter how long your items will remain in storage, dust will still settle on them. To keep your possessions clean from dust and debris, purchase boxes or lidded bins. When you place items inside these containers, the box top or lid guard against dust, bugs and other debris.
2. Don't Over-pack Boxes.
Since you'll have to carry each box into your storage unit, you don't want to lift and transport heavy items. Additionally, you don't want these containers to collapse under extraneous weight while in storage.
As you pack up, use these methods to keep your boxes light:
- Keep a scale on hand, the same model you would use to measure your own weight. Place an empty box on the scale, and slowly add items inside. Continue to fill the box with items until it weighs no more than 15 kilograms. Anything heavier could cause you to injure yourself when you move the boxes into storage.
- If you don't have access to a scale, fill a box about halfway. Then, pick up the box and walk around the room for thirty seconds or so. If you can easily walk around without straining yourself, you can add more items to the box. Repeat this step as necessary. However, if you find it difficult to carry the box around, remove some items to lighten the weight.
You can also mark "heavy," "light" and "moderate" on the outside of each box so that you can remember how much each box weighs. Just be sure to place the heaviest boxes on your storage unit's floor. Stack lighter boxes on top to prevent delicate items from damage.
Also make sure to pack similar items together for maximum packing efficiency.
3. Vacuum Seal Your Clothing, Bedding and Similar Materials.
Tightly wrap and store your clothes, sheets, blankets, towels and any other cloth items. Vacuum-seal bags allow you to keep more items in one container, and they also prevent water, dirt, bugs and other items from infesting your clothes.
4. Invest in a Label Maker or Keep Markers On Hand.
Don't forget to label each box you place in your storage unit. As you pack, mark down the items that you place in the container. You can write this list directly onto the box or on a piece of paper taped to the box top. Or, if you prefer, use a label maker to identify each box's contents.
5. Take Pictures of Each Room's Organisation.
This step might seem tedious. However, it allows you to recall how you set up each room originally. Use your phone or a digital camera to take pictures of different areas in your kitchen, bedrooms, and living areas. If you prefer the look of your current room, you can use the photo to set the room up in the same fashion when you take your belongings out of storage. You can also use these pictures as a catalogue so you can account for your stored items later on.
As you prepare to put your personal possessions in storage, follow the tips listed above for efficient packing. And remember to visit our blog regularly for more advice about a stress-free move.